Welcome to Lindy What? Lindy Hop Nijmegen!
We are a swing dance club based in the beautiful city of Nijmegen (NL). We are passionate about the social dance culture of the swing era of jazz, in particular the Lindy Hop. We organize dance classes, workshops and social dances with live music. Our organisation was founded in 2014, based upon the tenet that Lindy Hop is a very social and enjoyable dance, where we enjoy one other’s company and have a good time dancing with everybody, no matter their skills.
Next social dances:
- End-of-the-week social dancing on December 6th starts a little later, around 21:15! That is because we have a short extra Lindy lesson from 20:45 (after the regular B class). The social dancing is open to all and free, as every week at Oude Weeshuis Nijmegen. Dancers level B and up are also welcome to join the mini lesson. If you want to do that, please be there at 20:40.
December 13: Regular end-of-the-week social open for all, from 20:45 – 22:00.
- Our Christmas Swing Special, organised jointly with JazzOut Nijmegen! On Saturday 7th December we will swing out to live music by the Blue Ramblers Five at Kolpinghuis Nijmegen, starting at 20.00. Tickets are 12,50 on the door, but you can preorder tickets for 10,00 using the registration form.
- Sunday 15th December, tea dance at de Hemel, 15.00-19.00, with live music by Cherry and the Cakes. Entry is free!
Next try-out classes for beginners:
- Sunday 15th December at de Hemel, 15.00-16.00. Entry is free!
Want to join Lindy Hop courses?
- Our next block of classes will start in February 2020, including a new beginners course! Registrations open on 6th January at 19.00, here on the website.
- Registration for our Nov-Jan block is now closed. Please note the new locations: the beginner-intermediate Lindy Hoppers (Lindy B) dance on Fridays at Oude Weeshuis in the city centre; for the more experienced dancers, we have guest teachers Natalia and Kay at Titus Brandsma on Tuesdays.
- It’s happening again! What’s Hop?! Second Edition will take place on the weekend of 22-23 February 2020. We’re so very excited to announce our international teaching couples Ron & Sharon Dobrovinsky (Israel); Ari Beltran (Spain) & Simon Bressanelli (UK). Registration will open on Monday 25th November at 19.00.
Join our facebook group for upcoming events, announcements and to get in touch. Please also go ahead and like our Facebook page!
Earlier this year we celebrated our fifth anniversary as a dance club with our weekend festival What’s Hop!?! If you want to see what Lindy Hop looks like, you can check out the demonstration dances by our amazing teachers at that event in the videos section. What’s Hop!? Second Edition will take place on 22-23 February 2020. We hope to see you there!
Lindy what? The Lindy Hop is an energetic and dynamic jazz dance which evolved in 1920s and 30s Harlem, New York. It is a fusion of various jazz dances which came before it, most notably tap, breakaway and Charleston. Once you get the Lindy bug, there’s no going back!
Lindy Hop is danced in couples (a pair consisting of a lead and a follow), although the couple need not consist of a man and a woman: both men and women may take the role of either lead or follow. It is a social dance, meaning that we do not have a fixed “dance partner” like one often finds in other dances. Sounds like fun? Anybody can do it!